Blog

Notes and advice from Sean McColl.

Planning my 2013 Season

As I’m now back in Toulouse France, my real training has resumed. I’m trying to get into the gym 4-5 days a week. Because I’m doing all bouldering and campusing training right now, the number of hours doesn’t have to be as high as when I’m doing only circuit training. I wrote a post about the 25 competitions that I did in 2012 if you missed it HERE. I’ve been putting together a list of competitions I’m planning on doing in 2013 and it’s already up around 20. Although my season could change, these are the competitions that are on my mind…
  • March 23/24 – Inter Regional French Cup (Lead – to qualify for Nationals)
  • April 5/6 – WC Millau, France (Bouldering)
  • April 25/26 – WC Kitzbuehel, Austria (Bouldering)
  • May 11/12 – WC Log-Dragomer, Slovenia (Bouldering)
  • May 17/18 – WC Innsbruck, Austria (Bouldering)
  • May 25/26 – French Lead Nationals (Lead ,Speed)
  • June 1/2 – WC Toronto, Canada (Bouldering)
  • June 5/6 – WC Vail, USA (Bouldering)
  • June 29/30 – China Open, Beijing, China (Lead, Boulder)
  • July 19/20 – WC Briancon, France (Lead)
  • August 3/4 – The World Games Cali, Colombia (Lead)
  • August 9/10 – WC Imst, Austria (Lead)
  • August 24/25 – WC Munich, Germany (Bouldering)
  • September 7 – RockMaster Arco, Italy (Bouldering, Lead)
  • September 14/15 – Adidas RockStars Stuttgart, Germany (Bouldering)
  • September 20/21 – WC Puurs, Belgium (Lead)
  • September 28/29 – WC Perm, Russia (Lead, Speed)
  • October 12/13 – WC Wujiang, China (Lead, Speed)
  • October 19/20 – WC Mokpo, Korea (Lead, Speed)
  • November 1/2 – WC Valence, France (Lead)
  • November 16/17 – WC Kranj, Slovenia (Lead)
If I get invited to the La Sportiva Legends Only, that’s also another competition I’d love to return to. As you can see, there’s already 21 competitions on my list. As I said before, this list could obviously change as the season progresses, but I still love competing, training and traveling.
On a side note, I couldn’t get the video footage of the campus training I took while in Vancouver. I’ve now planned on taking more footage this week (with my REAL camera) and work on the movie next week. Now that I’m back in Europe, I have much more time to work on stuff like this. It’ll be a basic campusing video showing a bunch of different exercises that I’ve been doing on the campus board. Most of the exercises are pretty basic and everyone can try them!
I’m also going to start blogging weekly and tweeting daily, so keep an eye out for those!

Trackback from your site.

Myles Atkins

Already a busy year!
    Nothing in the UK though. 🙁
    Look forward to the videos!
    Good luck in all your competitions!
    Myles.

David

I look forward to the video and hopefully all the “experts” won’t gather around the fire pit to go on about how climbers don’t know how to periodize or prioritize their training.

Egor Astakhov

You are the man. All the best this season, Sean!

Niklas

Excited about the campus movie man. Good luck in the next season Sean!

John Meget

Sean, at what age to do you recommend climbers start working on the campus board? I’ve read that for kids (under 17?) it can be dangerous, and would like to hear your thoughts.

I didn’t go to school for this sort of thing, but I’ve read and heard the athlete should already be going through puberty at the very least. I think some people can start at 15-16 but every athlete is unique. It also depends on when they started climbing.

Gelu

So you won’t compete in the ABS Nationals nor in the French Bouldering Championship?

What about the European Championship? You must be half-euro by now!

Best of luck for the season!

That is correct. I am not eligible for European Championships as I don’t have an EU passport!

Shaun Hunter

No Canadian Nationals either, I guess a WC is better for experience. If you wont be competing at Regional’s or Nationals does that mean you will not qualify for the Canadian National team?

Every year, I still register with the Alpine Club of Canada (ACC) through Climbing Escalade Canada (CEC) which enables me to be on the Canadian national team. Although I won’t be in the top positions on the Canadian circuit, I have a bye to every single lead and boulder world cup in 2013 so competing in Canada was not mandatory this year. I think I will also still qualify through my International results.

• SportCafé | Campusing, Stretching and Planning

[…] This past week has been hugely beneficial on a few different aspects. To sum it up, I’m continuing my campus training, I’ve started stretching and continuing to round out my 2013 season. […]

• HRR, ABS and More | Sean McColl

[…] for this year, I was looking at my 2013 competition season, and it is packed! I know I went over my season over a month ago, but now that all the competitions […]