Ryan W

I’m a college student who climbs in the summers and whenever I have time during school. However, i’ve found that it’s difficult to find the time to climb with much frequency during the school year. do you have any tips for how to build/maintain functional climbing strength without going climbing all the time?

Thanks for your time & good luck at your comp this week!

Hi Ryan,
      I would invest in a hangboard and learn to do ground based core exercises!

Caleb

Are you planning on participating in this years hueco rock rodeo?

Hi Caleb,
      No I hadn’t planned on it this year.

Caleb

Yo man! When are you gonna get on the Black Diamond Project?;-)

karol

are you planning on participating in the world games 2017 in Poland? Thanks for the answer 🙂

Hi Karol,

I haven’t quite finalized my schedule for this 2017 season.

Jaces

hey man

I’ve noticed a photo of you and the singularity.
    It seems like it’s almost impossible to have any informations out there about this unique line. I’m really curious about it and especially how it went for you even though there was no send.
    Could you give us a short description of your perspective about it and the moves etc ?

jc

Hi Jaces,
      It is a unique boulder and hard to get photos on because of how dark it is. If I try it again this season I might try to write about the process.

Ricardo

Hi sean.
    In the AMERICAN ninja warrior your nationality is french so my QUESTION is are you actually french or canadian? Thank you

Hi Ricardo,

They never claim my nationality is French on ANW, they just say I was living in France, which was true. I have only Canadian citizenship!

Matt

Hi Sean, I was wondering if you take any supplements products to help you with your climbing/Health and if so what specific products are you taking?

Hi Matt,

Nope, no supplements.

Chris

Congrats on your win at Canadian Nationals!

I’ve got a two-part question I hope you won’t mind answering: First, how did you make the decision to dedicate yourself to competition climbing instead of, say, projecting hard outdoor routes/boulders and seeking to build a professional career based on those sorts of accomplishments? Second, and tangentially related, do you ever wonder how hard you could climb (in terms of grades) if you were to dedicate significant time and effort to projecting hard routes/boulders? Third, any plans to get on “Fight CluB”?

PS. To be clear, I know you have sent really hard on real rock (UP TO 9a AND V15, RIGHT?) but I imagine you could send much harder if you were to invest more time into that style of climbing, no?

Hi Chris,

Thank you! I guess your questions are all pretty related so I might ramble a bit, blending them together. I choose competitions right now because I know that once you step away from competition climbing, it is very hard to get back to it. The difference with outdoor hard climbing is because generally the route/boulder you are climbing is so specific, I think it’s easier to attack those problems (definitely not taking away the fact that it can takes weeks of effort). Once I’m done my competition career, I plan on taking those endless summers and finding the hardest lines I can do. I’d like to climb 5.15a and eventually do Fight Club, yes. Not for the grade, but for the “hardest line in Canada”.

On a secondary note, (again I don’t want to take anything away from outdoor enthusiasts), but a competition had sets of rules and I think it’s harder to become a world champion than it is to climb a specific V grade. You not only have to play a physical/mental game with the lines you are climbing, but in a competition you must do it on demand, in front of a gaggle of people, on camera and in the spotlight. It adds an entirely other element. As my friend once said while climbing outside “there’s always another day” where in competition climbing, there isn’t. You must perform now! That part of competition actually drives me, and most competitors, because they excel under pressure.

To summarize, yes I’ll eventually find out how hard I can climb and along the way I still try to climb outside as much as my training plans will let me!

Jackson Tanton

hi sean
    i am 11 years old and i have been always wanting to climb as good as you. i have been climbing for two years and i love it. i am in school and it is sometimes hard for me climb when i am ALWAYS STUDYING. do you have any SUGGESTING?

Hi Jackson,
      It all comes down to time management. I’m sure if you plan to study for a dedicated chunk of time, you can also plan to climb on certain days for a chunk of time as well. I’m not saying this in a negative way, but you are a kid and if you’re already running out of time, as you get older, you generally have less and less free time.

Caleb

I realy like the AESTHETIC of your website! I knwo you have quite a bit of experience with computers and was WONDERING if you DESIGNED it yourself; and if so, what program did you use.

Thanks man,

Hi Caleb,
      No, I didn’t design it myself, my management team Delve Media did it.