Matt

I keep having trouble with doing a front lever and was wondering if you would have any advice on doing one?
    Matt

Hi Matt,
      You can start by doing knee raises and then once you can do it, you should be able to go into a front lever position with both knees bent above you.
      The next progression after that is a front lever with one knee bent, then after that have your feet straight but in a V shape. Then finally, you can try a normal front lever with your legs in front of you.
      Good luck.

nathan

hi sean mccoll
    how do you get so good in rockclimbing

Study and practice, years of it.

An interesting conversation. I would say the folks on Reddit actually have merit to what they’re talking about, my position is not the greatest if you are starting hangboarding. I prefer this position just because of the length of my fingers but when I do deadhangs, I change up my grip to ones that I’m weaker at.

The reason I can probably do this is because I’ve done this for so many years, might also explain why my last 3 fingers are stronger than my middle 3!

Nolan

Hello Sean

I am ten years old and I like to rock climb. At school I have a project that requires me to interview someone I admire. I have watched you on youtube and on American Ninja Warrior. I hope to someday also be a successful climber.
    Would you be able to answer some of these questions for me? I have read some of the other questions here so I am just asking some that I haven’t seen before.

1.Have you ever done a climb that’s rated V14 or over?
    2. Do you do any other sports other than climbing?
    3. I am going to my first climbing competition next week.. What are your tips to staying calm before you go on to the wall?
    4. What keeps you motivated to continue to train so hard?
    5. What was your favorite country that you visited to do rock climbing competitions?

Thank you for helping me with my project.

Hi Nolan,

1) Yes, I’ve done over a dozen climbs that were V14 and up.
      2) I play numerous other sports but none competitively. I love being outside or playing a game with my friends.
      3) Try to focus on doing exactly what you do in training.
      4) Training has become a style of life for me. I am motivated because I know that it is the training that will give me success throughout the season.
      5) There is not one country that stands out above all others for competitions. I very much enjoy traveling through Europe, Asia and quick trips through the USA and Canada to compete!

Good luck with your project.

Dyllon

Hey Sean, What could i do To train for climbing at home? I can not go climbing very often but want to be able to climb well. I have around three days a week to train. I do not have a hangboard but have a pair of rock rings. Thanks.

Hi Dyllon,

You’ll have to be creative. If you have rock rings, you can do most exercises on those. The hardest part will be deadhangs. You should also do some research on ground based ab workouts that you can do.

Good luck

Oscar

How did you train as a kid?

Tom

Just wondering how you manage to Get your food intake low to avoid putting on additional fat yet are able to ensure you dont loose muscle/ strength bY not eating enough. Thanks

I try to eat healthy with good proportions of everything. I don’t restrict my diet though. As long as you’re eating a good amount of protein, you shouldn’t be losing muscle, depends also on your training.

James

Yo Sean. Are you entering CWIFF this year? And would you recommend it to intermisiate climbeRs?

Hi James,
      Yes, I am entering CWIFF this year! Yes, there are many different categories spread out throughout the day, people can compete at any level or just climb in a group and have fun.

Tom

Hi sean,
    I am wondering if you have any advice to decrease muscle weight ? Im mean it is impresive to watch russians, koreans, and japanese guys which are so strong and in the same time so light. How to achieve low muscle weight, get max. recruitment and still got power and strength on the highest level? cheers 🙂

The problem is always geographical. Japanese, Korean and Russian’s tend to be much leaner compared to your average North American. It will all come down to your diet, where you are getting your food and how you prepare it. I know what works for me, but you’re going to need to talk to a nutritionist, or move to Europe.

Mohammad Mahdi Jalili

Greetings Sean,
    Wish you are as great and happy as you always are 😉
    According to significant changes in the IFSC rules specially in the lead which we have 6 minutes for the final, in your opinion, does it really matter that do more strength-based exercises rather than endurance, stamina, and long-lasting climbing?
    in addition, what’s your view about changes on the lead route setting?
    Good luck.

Hi Mohammad,
      I don’t think it will change much in the mens finals routes as the climbers rarely climb for the full 8 minutes. I hope it will speed up the finals for the women and make it more exciting.